“The Lord is… not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” …2 Peter 3:9
In the mid 1980s, a number of leaders in Youth With A Mission (YWAM) began to feel burdened for the thousands of ethnic people groups around the world that still had no viable Christian expression in their midst. The words of the Apostle Paul rang true: “It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known…” (Romans 15:20).
Thus began a movement within YWAM to focus on unreached people groups — to mobilize, equip, send out, and care for pioneer workers who would go beyond the current boundaries, or frontiers, of God’s Kingdom on Earth.
What is YWAM Frontier Missions?
“Frontier Missions” is one of the largest of YWAM’s “Global Ministries”, involving 2,000 workers all over the world, serving everyone from tiny tribes in remote jungles to ethnic people groups numbering in the millions. Our primary goal is to begin a movement of spontaneously multiplying, self-sustaining indigenous churches within each people group where we are working.
YWAM Frontier Missions believes that every person has the right to hear the message of salvation. Every day, thousands of people die without ever having learned of Jesus or having met anyone who has demonstrated His love. YWAM Frontier Missions is determined to change this situation. We are helping people like you to bring the Gospel to those who have never heard it. We will get you to the places where no Christian witness exists and equip you to establish new fellowships in other cultures which will in turn spread God’s love to the ends of the earth.
What is YWAM?
Youth With A Mission is a global movement of Christians from many denominations dedicated to serving Jesus throughout the world. Commonly referred to as “YWAM” (pronounced “Why-Wham”), our motto is “To know God and to make Him known”. Our diverse ministries fit into three primary categories: evangelism, training, and mercy ministry. YWAM employs the two hands of the gospel: demonstrating God’s love and mercy in practical manners while communicating the spiritual message of repentance and salvation. We are currently operating in more than 1000 locations in over 150 countries, with a full-time staff of 16,000.
YWAM Frontier Missions, as an integral part of Youth With A Mission, fully affirms the organization’s Foundational Values. We have also developed the following list of Frontier Missions Values, which specifically address and guide our contributions to the wider movement.
1. Completion of the Great Commission – We value the evangelization and discipleship of all peoples with a focus on the “unreached peoples”.
2. Church Planting Movements – We value church planting movements as an essential strategy in reaching unreached peoples.
3. Holistic Transformation – We value holistic transformation of people and their communities through both proclaiming the Good News and demonstrating the Kingdom of God.
4. Cultural Relevance – We value each human culture and language and the treasures each brings into the Kingdom of God. Therefore we plant churches that are Biblically based and culturally relevant to their members.
5. Mobilizing All Peoples – We value the participation of the Church within every people group in evangelizing and discipling all peoples.
6. Strategic Partnership – We value partnering with the diverse family of ministries within YWAM and the Church internationally, working toward our common vision.
7. Staff Care – We value our co-workers and their families and are committed to their ongoing care, development and ministry effectiveness.